DON’T DELAY! Please request Support for S.B. 1239 immediately from the California Senate Appropriations Committee (Full List Below) by calling now:
You may use the following points in your message:
- S.B. 1239 recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1981vehicles on emissions and air quality.
- S.B. 1239 acknowledges that pre-1981 vehicles still constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.
- S.B. 1239 endorses the fact that pre-1981 vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle).
- For years, legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters have felt the heat from failed efforts to meet air quality goals and have looked to older cars as a convenient scapegoat, using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case. S.B. 1239 helps validate the truth. The old car hobby should not continue to carry the burden of past mistakes!
Overview: Legislators on the Appropriations Committee have received your email messages and now they need to hear your voices! As you are aware, legislation (S.B. 1239) to exempt all motor vehicles prior to the 1981 model year from emissions inspection requirement was approved by the Transportation and Housing Committee. Current law requires the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. The bill will next be considered by the Appropriations Committee on Monday, May 2, 2016.
Senator Ricardo Lara (D) Senator Jim Nielsen (R) Senator Kevin de Leon (D)
(916) 651-4033 (Phone) (916) 651-4004 (Phone) (916) 651-4024 (Phone)
Senator Jim Beall (D) Senator Pat Bates (R) Senator Jerry Hill (D)
(916) 651-4015 (Phone) (916) 651-4036 (Phone) (916) 651-4013 (Phone)
Senator Tony Mendoza (D)
(916) 651-4032 (Phone)