A hearing to consider SEMA model legislation (S.B. 5586) to protect backyard hobbyist restoration and collection is scheduled for Tues., Feb. 15. Reintroduced in the Washington State Legislature by Senator Mike Carrell (Carrell.email@example.com), S.B. 5586 would prohibit cities or towns from enforcing an ordinance, development regulation, zoning regulation, or administrative practice that prevents automobile collectors from pursuing their hobby. Junked, wrecked or inoperable vehicles, including parts cars, stored on private property would only require screening from public view if required by local law. The bill will be heard by the Washington Senate Government Operations, Tribal Relations and Elections Committee.
We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Government Operations, Tribal Relations and Elections Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for S.B. 5586.
For those interested in attending the hearing to voice support, the Committee will meet on Tues., Feb.15 at 6:00 PM at the following address:
Senate Hearing Room 2
J.A. Cherberg Building
304 15th Avenue SW
Olympia, WA 98504
- S.B. 5586 would permit the repair or modification of motor vehicles on private property that are undergoing restoration.
- S.B. 5586 would permit the maintenance of parts cars as a source of parts for motor vehicles undergoing restoration.
- S.B. 5586 provides safeguards for hobbyists to work on collector vehicles on private property.
- S.B. 5586 establishes reasonable provisions that vehicles be located out of public view by means of suitable fencing, vegetation or other means.
- S.B. 5586 demonstrates a real effort by legislators and hobbyists to enact reasonable and fair compromise legislation.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Senate Government Operations, Tribal Relations and Elections Committee to request their support for S.B. 5586. Thank you for your assistance.
Please e-mail a copy of your letters to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby!
Senate Government Operations, Tribal Relations and Elections Committee
Senator Craig Pridemore - Chair
Senator Margarita Prentice - Vice Chair
Senator Don Benton
Senator Maralyn Chase
Senator Sharon Nelson
Senator Pam Roach
Senator Dan Swecker