Virginia Introduces Bill to Expand “YOM” Plates Usage for Antique Vehicles
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the Senate Transportation Committee to request support for S.B. 749:
You may use the following points in your message:
- S.B. 749 expands year of manufacture (YOM) license plates for vehicles registered as Antiques to include plates manufactured in 1973 or thereafter.
- S.B. 749 provides added incentive to owners of qualifying vintage vehicles (more than 25-years old) to register as “Antique.”
- S.B. 749 allows greater styling options for antique vehicle owners and recognize that YOM plates are an important part of the aesthetic and collector value of vintage vehicles.
- S.B. 749 brings the state in line with other states seeking to reward automotive enthusiasts and expand opportunities for these prized vehicles to be enjoyed.
- S.B. 749 recognizes that the collection and restoration of historic and classic cars is an important part of preserving the technological achievements and cultural heritage of the United States.
Overview: Virginia has introduced SAN-supported legislation (S.B. 749) to expand year of manufacture (YOM) license plates for vehicles registered as Antiques to include plates manufactured in 1973 or thereafter. Currently, only vehicles manufactured in 1972 or earlier may display YOM plates with DMV approval. The bill currently awaits consideration in the Senate Transportation Committee.