A bill (H.B. 45) to ban motor vehicle exhaust systems that increase the noise level has been reintroduced in Vermont. Under the bill, violators would not pass the state’s required inspection and would be subject to fines. The bill does not provide an opportunity for vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet an objective decibel limit under a fair and predictable test.
We Urge You to Contact House Transportation Committee Members (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 45
- H.B. 45 does not supply inspectors with an enforcement standard, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether an exhaust system amplifies the noise emitted by the motor vehicle.
- H.B. 45 fails to recognize that a better way to address this issue is by establishing a fair and reasonable exhaust noise decibel limit.
- H.B. 45 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.
- H.B. 45 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
- H.B. 45 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.
- H.B. 45 would subject vehicle owners to fines of up to $350.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Vermont House Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 45.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at email@example.com. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
Vermont House Transportation Committee
To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Representative Patrick Brennan (Chair)
Representative David Potter (Vice Chair)
Representative Timothy Corcoran
Representative Clement Bissonnette
Representative Mollie Burke
Representative Anne Gallivan
Representative Duncan Kilmartin
Representative Diane Lanpher
Representative Michael McCarthy
Representative Herbert Russell
Representative Kurt Wright