New York Introduces Bill to Provide for One-Time Historic Vehicle Registration Fee
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the Assembly Transportation Committee to request support for A. 6931:
You may use the following points in your message:
- The reduced registration fee would be available to owners of historical vehicles owned and operated as an exhibition piece or collector’s item and used for club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation, and similar uses.
- Under current New York law, a historical motor vehicle is either a vehicle manufactured more than 25 years ago or one which has unique characteristics and which is determined to be of historical, classic, or exhibition value.
- A. 6931 would replace the current annual fee of $28.75 with a $100 one-time fee.
- A. 6931 brings the state in line with other states seeking to reward automotive enthusiasts and expand opportunities for these prized vehicles to be enjoyed.
- A. 6931 recognizes that the collection and restoration of historic and classic cars is an important part of preserving the technological achievements and cultural heritage of the United States.
Overview: SAN-supported legislation (A. 6931) has been introduced in New York that would allow historical vehicle owners only pay a one-time registration fee of $100 upon initial registration. Under current law, owners of these vehicles must be pay a fee of $28.75 every year. The bill currently awaits consideration in the Assembly Transportation Committee.