DON’T DELAY! Please request support for A.B. 118 immediately from the New Jersey Assembly Transportation and Independent Authorities Committee (Full List Below) by emailing now:
You may use the following points in your message:
- A.B. 118 provides specific registration/titling classes and license plates for street rods and customs.
- A.B. 118 only holds street rods and customs to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title of the vehicle.
- A.B. 118 provides that a replica vehicle will be assigned the same model year designation as the production vehicle it most closely resembles.
- A.B. 118 permits street rods and custom vehicles to display blue dot taillights.
- A.B. 118 provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.
Overview: A version of SEMA model legislation (A.B. 118) that would create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and replica custom vehicles and provide for special license plates for these vehicles was reintroduced in the New Jersey Assembly for 2016. A.B. 118 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1948 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. The bill allows kit cars and replica vehicles to be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation the body of the vehicle most closely resembles.
New Jersey Assembly Committee on Transportation and Independent Authorities
Assemblyman John S. Wisniewski
Assemblywoman Marlene Caride
Assemblyman Daniel R. Benson
Assemblyman Nicholas Chiaravalloti
Assemblyman Robert D. Clifton
Assemblywoman BettyLou DeCroce
Assemblyman Thomas P. Giblin (D)
Assemblyman James J. Kennedy
Assemblyman Gregory P. McGuckin
Assemblyman Paul Moriarty
Assemblywoman Sheila Y. Oliver
Assemblyman Scott T. Rumana
Assemblywoman Valerie Vainieri Huttle