New Jersey Introduces Pro-Hobby Bills
The New Jersey State Legislature introduced a variety of pro-hobby bills for the 2022 legislative session. The following bills are pending before the Assembly Transportation and Independent Authorities Committee and may be scheduled to be heard at any time.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the Assembly Transportation and Independent Authorities Committee to request support for A. 107 and A. 212:
You may use the following points in your message:
A. 107 — Creates vehicle registration classifications for street rods and customs. While “street rod” license plates are already available for certain vehicles, current law does not include specialty title and registration designations for these unique vehicles.
- This bill allows street rods and custom vehicles to be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation that the body of the vehicle most closely resembles.
- This bill provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.
- This bill provides that street rod and custom vehicle license plates be created in consultation with the National Street Rod Association.
- This bill recognizes that the collection and restoration of historic and classic cars is an important part of preserving the technological achievements and cultural heritage of the United States.
A. 212 — Allows sale of newly-created classic license plates.
- This bill brings a retro look to modern license plates by allowing consumers to choose a blue license plate with sand yellow letters that resembles the plates that were issued in the state from 1979 to 1991.
- This bill gives consumers new options on what sort of license plates to use on their vehicles and provide classic car collectors a risk-free way to acquire plates that match the vintage of their vehicles.
- This bill brings New Jersey in line with other states seeking to promote the growth of the collector car hobby and the marketplace it supports.
- This bill recognizes the growing interest of vehicle owners in vintage-style options and offers a desirable alternative to traditional license plates that allows vehicles to be personalized further.