UPDATE: Michigan Bills to Allow for Military Surplus Vehicle Titling Up for Final Vote In Senate
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the members of the Michigan Senate to request support for S.B. 344, 345, and 346:
You may use the following points in your message:
- S.B. 345 would amend the Michigan Vehicle Code to define "military surplus" and "historic military surplus" vehicles.
- S.B. 346 would exempt military surplus vehicles from certain emission inspections.
- S.B. 344 would authorize registration and titling of military surplus vehicles that adhere with certain equipment standards. It would also allow the issuance of historic vehicle license plates to historic military surplus vehicles.
- These bills recognize the important historical and patriotic purpose of these vehicles.
- These bills acknowledge that military surplus vehicles are becoming valued collectors’ items among the automotive community.
- These bills would bring the state in line with others that are moving to allow former military vehicles similar accommodations as those available to civilian vehicles.
Overview: SAN-supported legislation (S.B. 344, S.B. 345, and S.B. 346) has been introduced in Michigan to allow for the titling and registration of military surplus and historic military surplus vehicles. Currently, such vehicles are not able to be titled or registered for use on highways in the state. The bills have been brought up for a final vote of approval by the Michigan Senate.