Michigan Introduces Bill to Expand Historic Vehicle Usage
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the members of the House Transportation Committee immediately to request support for H.B. 5882:
You may use the following points in your message:
- H.B. 5882 expands the usage of Historic vehicles by declaring the period of Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend as exhibition.
- H.B. 5882 creates a more reasonable standard for antique collectors and expands opportunities for owners to be able to enjoy recreational driving of these prized vehicles.
- H.B. 5882 provides added incentive to owners of qualifying vehicles to register as historic vehicles.
- H.B. 5882 brings Michigan in line with other states seeking to reward automotive enthusiasts and continues expanding opportunities for these prized vehicles to be enjoyed.
- H.B. 5882 recognizes that the collection and restoration of historic and classic cars is an important part of preserving the technological achievements and cultural heritage of the United States.
Overview: Michigan has introduced SAN-supported legislation (H.B. 5882) to expand the usage of Historic vehicles by declaring the period between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend as exhibition. Currently, Historic vehicles may only be used for exhibition within the month of August, which is considered as participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses. The bill currently awaits consideration in the House Transportation Committee.