Michigan Advances Bill to Expand Historic Vehicle Usage to House Floor
DON’T DELAY! Please contact your lawmaker immediately to request support for H.B. 5882:
You may use the following points in your message:
- H.B. 5882 expands the usage of Historic vehicles by declaring the period of Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend as exhibition.
- H.B. 5882 creates a more reasonable standard for antique collectors and expands opportunities for owners to be able to enjoy recreational driving of these prized vehicles.
- H.B. 5882 provides added incentive to owners of qualifying vehicles to register as historic vehicles.
- H.B. 5882 brings Michigan in line with other states seeking to reward automotive enthusiasts and continues expanding opportunities for these prized vehicles to be enjoyed.
- H.B. 5882 recognizes that the collection and restoration of historic and classic cars is an important part of preserving the technological achievements and cultural heritage of the United States.
Overview: Michigan has introduced SAN-supported legislation (H.B. 5882) to expand the usage of Historic vehicles by allowing vehicles to be driven without restrictions between Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend. The bill declares this time period as “participation in an exhibition”. Currently, historic vehicles may only be used in participation for club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses with the month of August declared as an exhibition period. The bill passed the House Transportation Committee and now awaits consideration by the full House.