UPDATE: Oklahoma Bill to Create Titling for HUMVEES Passes Committee; Receives New Committee Assignment
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the Oklahoma Senate Committee on Finance to request support for H.B. 1851:
You may use the following points in your message:
- H.B. 1851 allows for the titling of HUMVEES.
- H.B. 1851 defines a “High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle” or “HMMWV” as a four-wheel drive tactical military vehicle that can carry a wide variety of military hardware, a vehicle more commonly known as a HUMVEE.
- H.B. 1851 recognizes the important historical and patriotic purpose of these vehicles.
- H.B. 1851 acknowledges the fact that government surplus (former military) vehicles are becoming valued collectors’ items among the automotive community.
- H.B. 1851 would bring the state in line with others that are moving to allow former military vehicles similar accommodations as those available to civilian vehicles.
Overview: Legislation (H.B. 1851) has been introduced to allow the titling of HUMVEES (High-Mobility Multipurpose Vehicles or HMMWV). The bill would restrict these vehicles from traveling on Interstate Highways. Under current Oklahoma law, HMMWV vehicles are not able to be titled in the state. A similar proposal failed to be passed during last year’s session. The bill has passed the Senate Transportation Committee and is currently awaiting consideration in the Senate Committee on Finance.